Thursday 17 July 2014

Books that you are excited for?

So usually I never look at the 'Coming Soon' or 'Newly Published' section in shops and online for Books but since really getting into books and going through about 2 every week, I'm always looking for new books. Here is a small list of the top 5 books that I am looking forward to read at the moment. 

First of the books that I am dying to get my hands on is Half a King.




Author: Joe Abercrombie


Title: Half a King


Genre: Fantasy 


Published: 1st July 2014













I swore an oath to avenge the death of my father. I may be half a man, but I swore a whole oath.” 

Prince Yarvi has vowed to regain a throne he never wanted. But first he must survive cruelty, chains, and the bitter waters of the Shattered Sea. And he must do it all with only one good hand.
Born a weakling in the eyes of his father, Yarvi is alone in a world where a strong arm and a cold heart rule. He cannot grip a shield or swing an axe, so he must sharpen his mind to a deadly edge.Gathering a strange fellowship of the outcast and the lost, he finds they can do more to help him become the man he needs to be than any court of nobles could.
Will the usurped become the usurper?
But even with loyal friends at his side, Yarvi finds his path may end as it began—in twists, and traps, and tragedy.

From Goodreads

Now to be honest, I haven't heard of this author before, which I found odd seen as i'm always lurking around the fantasy/adventure area's but book sounds incredible and seems like its right down my street, and although the book has only been out less than a month the reviews for this book are fantastic and have all scored the book pretty highly. 

******

The next book on the list is The Ocean at the End of the Lane.



Author: Neil Gaiman 

Title: The Ocean at the End of the Lane

Genre: Fantasy

Published: June 18, 2013





'Sussex, England. A middle-aged man returns to his childhood home to attend a funeral. Although the house he lived in is long gone, he is drawn to the farm at the end of the road, where, when he was seven, he encountered a most remarkable girl, Lettie Hempstock, and her mother and grandmother. He hasn't thought of Lettie in decades, and yet as he sits by the pond (a pond that she'd claimed was an ocean) behind the ramshackle old farmhouse, the unremembered past comes flooding back. And it is a past too strange, too frightening, too dangerous to have happened to anyone, let alone a small boy'.

'Forty years earlier, a man committed suicide in a stolen car at this farm at the end of the road. Like a fuse on a firework, his death lit a touchpaper and resonated in unimaginable ways. The darkness was unleashed, something scary and thoroughly incomprehensible to a little boy. And Lettie—magical, comforting, wise beyond her years—promised to protect him, no matter what'.

Now this book has happened to get back on the shelves as one of the best books to read at this point in time. I was surprised to see that it was published on June 18th 2013 and I am wondering why it has gone back up to the front shelves. Also this book was awarded the Goodreads Choice 2013 winner here. Now apart from it being another fantasy book, that is my favorite genre, the story seems to be completely unique and different from other books, as in there are no knights, dragons or evil powers but a completely different take on the fantasy genre for me. Anyway I am sure this book won't disappoint the fact it is written by one of my favorite authors and he hasn't written one bad book to date. 

*****

Next is The Slow Regard of Silent Things - The Kingkiller Chronicle/





Author: Partick Rothfuss

Title: The Slow Regard of Silent Things

Genre: Fantasy 

Publish date: October 28th 2014












'The Slow Regard of Silent Things is set at The University, where the brightest minds work to unravel the mysteries of enlightened sciences, such as artificing and alchemy. Auri, a former student (and a secondary but influential character from Rothfuss’s earlier novels) now lives alone beneath the sprawling campus in a maze of ancient and abandoned passageways. There in The Underthing, she feels her powers and learns to see the truths that science—and her former classmates—have overlooked'.

Now I have the last two books in the Kingkiller Chronicles and only having finished the first of the three; The Name of the Wind, I loved ever single part of it and I am a huge fan of Patrick Rothfuss' work. I find his books so so easy to just get lost in and the Name of the Wind book was absolutely bursting at the seems with adventure, magic, danger, fantasy, mystery etc and by far one of my all time favorites, so seeing that the 3rd in the series is coming out is an absolute delight! Got a long wait still though..  I hope it's worth it

*****

So there is my top 3 books that I am excited for! 3 really stongly recommend, big fantasy novels that I am eager to get my hands on. What books are you waiting for? Or what books have you recently got that you adore and would never part with? 

~George




No comments:

Post a Comment